Flamengo vice-president Marcos Braz has responded to rumours of a potential move for Fernandinho, who could leave Manchester City in the summer.
The defensive midfielder has been at the Etihad since 2013. He has made 375 appearances for the club so far and helped them to win a host of trophies. His honours include four Premier League titles, one FA Cup and six EFL Cups.
Fernandinho fell down Pep Guardiola’s pecking order after the arrival of Rodri in 2019. He has still played 25 games for Manchester City this season, although he rarely gets the chance to start in the bigger matches.
The 53-cap Brazil international made headlines last week by revealing his desire to secure a summer transfer.
Asked at a press conference if he would like to stay at City, he said: “I don’t think so.”
Fernandinho added: “I want to play regularly. I will go back to Brazil. I decided with my family, which is the most important for me.”
Flamengo linked with Fernandinho capture
His comments left Guardiola surprised, as the coach had not been told before the press conference began.
According to reports in Brazil, Corinthians, Botafogo and Flamengo have all made approaches to land the enforcer.
But his preference is to link up with rival Brazilian side Athletico Paranaense.
Potential suitors Flamengo were in action over the weekend, beating Sao Paulo 3-1 at home. After the win, Braz was asked about Fernandinho’s potential arrival.
The chief admitted he knows Fernandinho’s representative, although a transfer will not come about until the star becomes a free agent.
“As soon as he is released, we will talk,” Braz told reporters (via Sport Witness). “There’s nothing. I know his agent. He didn’t sort his life. There’s nothing.”
In the mean time, Fernandinho will focus on helping City to make their impressive campaign a successful one. The Citizens have seven matches left as they look to beat Liverpool to the Premier League title.
They are also aiming to end their Champions League heartache. Guardiola’s men face Real Madrid in the semis, with the first leg taking place on Tuesday April 26.
The post ‘I know his agent’ – Club chief provides insight into possible Man City raid this summer appeared first on TEAMtalk.