A forward who has become a cult favourite at Liverpool has edged closer to leaving after the club tweaked its transfer demands, per a report.
Liverpool put together a superb run of eight victories in their last 10 to snatch Champions League qualification on the final day. Despite entering the summer with spirits once again high, the club appear to be under no illusion that changes must be made to their squad in order to once again go toe-to-toe with Man City.
A report on Tuesday outlined the extreme lengths Liverpool will reportedly go to to revitalise their squad.
One of the 12 names on the chopping block is Swiss winger Xherdan Shaqiri.
The 29-year-old has become a favourite with Reds fans despite waging a constant battle with the treatment table.
In his first season at Anfield, Shaqiri famously netted twice against bitter rivals Man Utd to cement a crucial 3-1 victory. Since that impressive first season, however, the forward has spent more time injured than available.
With impressive youngster Harvey Elliot on the rise and Mohamed Salah a guaranteed starter, Shaqiri’s hopes of attaining regular first-team football appear as bleak as ever.
A departure seems likely, and online publication Sport Witness have now revealed how Liverpool are facilitating his exit.
Citing Turkish newspaper Fotomac, the article notes Fenerbahce have joined Galatasaray in chasing Shaqiri’s signature.
Shaqiri is said to be seeking ‘around €3m a season’ in wages. Fenerbahce are so far willing to stump up €2.5m.
However, one factor that may make a deal more likely stems from Liverpool now being open to sanctioning a loan deal.
His current contract expires in two years, meaning Liverpool would be able to loan the wideman out for 12 months and still attain hope of generating a transfer fee in a permanent move one year down the line.
It is this willingness on Liverpool’s part that seems to make Shaqiri’s Anfield exit ‘more likely’ than others.
Klopp hails unlikely Liverpool saviours
Meanwhile, Jurgen Klopp has labelled stop-gap defenders Nat Phillips and Rhys Williams “proper Premier League players” after they stepped into the Liverpool breach this season.
The Reds boss had no choice but to throw the duo into Premier League action this season. That was after long-term injuries to Virgil van Dijk, Joe Gomez and Joel Matip.
The duo did not disappoint, and Klopp has hailed the Academy graduates and believes they have shown there is a pathway to the first team for all at Kirkby.
“These two boys, playing like that, it is incredible, absolutely incredible,” Klopp said. ‘”That was a proper crash course in a Premier League education, and they have learned so much,” said Klopp
“It’s a sign for all our kids at Liverpool in the academy. It’s possible – it shows it’s possible… just work hard.
“These boys they are obviously not skilled like crazy, they had to work incredibly hard. And now they are proper, proper Premier League players. And that’s exactly how it can work. I am really happy for them.”
The post Popular attacker’s exit ‘more likely’ after Liverpool ease transfer demands appeared first on TEAMtalk.