Football News

Bruno Guimaraes issues Newcastle warning to Man City, Liverpool; lauds Magpies fans

Newcastle midfielder Bruno Guimaraes has sent a strong warning to the Premier League’s big hitters, including Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea.

Guimaraes raised eyebrows when he left Lyon in the January transfer window to join Newcastle. The transfer saw him go from European contenders to relegation battlers, with the Magpies paying £40million to complete the deal.

But the 24-year-old has helped Newcastle to push themselves away from the bottom three. Just like fellow January arrivals Chris Wood, Kieran Trippier and Matt Targett, plus Dan Burn, he has had a huge impact on Tyneside.

Eddie Howe and Newcastle believe their recent signings can also take them back into Europe. Ultimately, they could even challenge the current top three for the Premier League title.

Such achievements would justify Guimaraes’ decision to join.

During an interview with Brazilian outlet Globo (via the Express), the star said: “Next season I believe we will strengthen very well to seek, who knows, a spot in the Champions League, in the Europa League.

“From now on, it’s a team to compete to be champions of the Premier League.

Bruno Guimaraes ‘believes in project’

“I believe a lot in the project and I hope that everything works out as it was passed on to me.”

Guimaraes has made eight league appearances so far, finding the net once. That goal gave Newcastle a 2-1 win over Southampton earlier this month.

The playmaker is already a fan favourite at St James’ Park, and he has now returned the compliments.

“The guys here have already made music, shirts with my photo. Shirt with several pictures of me,” he said.

Newcastle has ‘been too cool’ – star

“If I give a backward pass, it’s ‘Bruno! Bruno! Bruno!’ When I scored, the guys wanted to invade the field. It’s been too cool, I’m enjoying it too much here.

“At Newcastle I’ve done everything. In the first three games I played in different positions.

“In the first, we played with two in the middle. In the second, we played with two midfielders. Then I played first man. I can do all the functions – I’m happy.”

Guimaraes is in Tite’s Brazil squad for the upcoming friendlies against Chile and Bolivia. After that, he will likely start in Newcastle’s match against Tottenham on Sunday April 3.

READ MORE: Newcastle to follow Bruno Guimaraes transfer with signing of another big-name midfielder

The post Bruno Guimaraes issues Newcastle warning to Man City, Liverpool; lauds Magpies fans appeared first on TEAMtalk.